Military Moves
Tips You Need When PCSing to Colorado Springs

Colorado Springs military base

Receiving your PCS papers can be stressful, not only for the military member but for their family too. From packing up their house to ensuring the kids are registered in the new area’s school district, there are a lot of small pieces that need to be solved before you move. Thankfully, military members who make a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move from one base to another are authorized to take advantage of many entitlements. Continue reading below as we detail just some of the major entitlements authorized in conjunction with moving on to your next duty assignment.

How to House Hunt Prior to Moving

As a military member, you are allowed a TDY (Temporary Duty) for up to 10 days in conjunction with a Permanent Change of Station move, as long as you are still in the country or the District of Columbia. On a TDY you will not be able to charge a per diem however.

Once you have received your written reassignment orders, you can request a TDY at any time. However, because there is no travel entitlement, usually you can elect to use this benefit after signing out of their old base and before signing into their new base. In other words, they plan to arrive at their new base 10 days early, which they then have 10 days for house-hunting without worrying about being charged for leave.

This house-hunting entitlement applies only to those who will not be living in the barracks after arrival at their new station.


Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE)

The TLE is designed to offset some of the lodging and meal expenses when a service person and their dependents need to occupy a hotel or other temporary lodging and it is used only in connection with a PCS.

You can receive a reimbursement for yourself and your family members or dependents for temporary lodging and meal expenses. You are allowed to claim a maximum of $180 per day.

It should be noted though that a TLE is not paid for lodging made during your travel days from one station to another. That’s what a per diem is for, which we will get to a bit later.

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA)

If a TLE is within the country, then what do you use for overseas? Well, if you are moving overseas, you will have a TLA. A TLA covers up to 60 days and can be extended if necessary. The TLA allows you to be paid for temporary lodging expenses and meal expenses after you and your family arrive at a new location overseas and while you are awaiting housing.

Dislocation Allowance

On top of the above benefits, you could be entitled to a Dislocation Allowance when relocating your household because of a PCS. A dislocation allowance is intended to reimburse relocation expenses that would not otherwise be reimbursed.

PCS Travel – Per Diem

You can receive a "per diem" allowance, which is designed to partially reimburse for lodging and meal expenses when traveling from one duty station to another. When traveling by Privately Owned Conveyance, you are paid a rate of $85.00 per day for each day of travel used. When you travel by commercial means, you’re paid the established per diem rate for the new Permanent Duty Station (PDS), or at the rate for the delay point if you stop overnight. Per diem for dependents is 3/4 of the member's applicable rate for each dependent 12 years old or older and 1/2 of the member's rate for each dependent under 12 years.

Travel By Privately Owned Conveyance (POC)

When you elect to travel to your new duty station by POC or privately owned car, you are entitled to receive a mileage allowance, in lieu of the cost of airline ticket. The reimbursement rate ultimately depends on the number of authorized travelers in the vehicle.

Dependent Travel Within Continental United States By Other Than POC

Dependents may be authorized to travel by commercial means (air, rail, bus) unless you elect to travel by vehicle. You can be reimbursed for this travel, up to what it would have cost the military to purchase an airline ticket.

For any further information on military moves or for finding that perfect house at your new base, contact the Colorado Springs real estate experts of the Dave Kaercher Team.

Contact the Military Relocation Experts

Please provide a valid email address.

Colorado Springs homes are waiting for you.